Tuesday, August 15, 2006

notes from the weekend

At around 8:00 on Friday night I knew I wasn't in the mood to go out. I was just tired and crabby and feeling antisocial, but during lunch that day with my buds we agreed to meet up at a bar on Broadway between 9:00 and 9:30, so I felt obligated to go out for at least a drink. They never showed up. Or called or texted to tell me they weren't going to be showing up. Which did very little to improve my mood.

Luckily, I can always count on B. to meet me for a few hundred drinks at any sort of bar, because he's just fucking cool like that. So I texted him up real nice, and he came and saved me from my loser-ness. I was SO over it at that point though, and when I looked at my watch and saw it was only 11:00 and I felt like I was going to punch someone in the neck any second I figured I better get myself home.

Saturday I tried to lighten up a little bit. I met G. for brunch at Snooze - a cool new breakfast place downtown. I really liked it a lot. Good prices, big mugs of coffee, great mimosas. Afterwards I went and bought some happiness at SuperTarget. I'm always amazed - there are just so many good-looking men there on Saturday afternoon. Gay, straight, whatev. I feel turned-on the whole time I’m there. And slightly flushed from all the low, low prices…

While I was shopping the boy called and asked if I wanted to go to the Eagle with him and a couple friends that night. I was really excited, but also a little apprehensive due to the fact that the Eagle has this whole leather dress-policy thing I'd heard people talk about. You can wear certain things, can't wear other things, etc. And in case you don't know me, I'm not exactly the burly leather type. Well, I like to believe that I'm a little burly, but I'm not really into chains and testicle separators and stuff. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
I could maybe get into cock rings.
Maybe.

So I went to meet them and passed dress code – ha – and I actually really liked the place a lot. It's a cool space, everyone is really laid back, and you can actually carry on a conversation without ear-piercing, thumping music drowning everything out. I was feeling happier, I looked semi-burly, and I was with a cute guy who intrigues me and has great conversation skills. Everything was looking up. Then around 1:00 I went to the bathroom, and I was looking in the mirror pushing up my glasses when – SNAP. They completely disintegrated. The left side completely snapped off, loosening the left lens piece, throwing the whole system out of whack. All I could do was stare blankly at the wreckage and try to figure out my next move. Could I possibly do a McGyver fix-up??
It was just so strange. It was the last thing I expected to happen. And I'm useless without my glasses. The boy told me to just go blind, but Matt minus his glasses in a dark club plus guys wandering around in buttless chaps = potential for DISASTER. So I had to leave. I honestly looked like I was a special needs guy - in my big silly boots with crazy broken glasses. Ugh, what a nightmare. So that REALLY put me off my good mood.

I only have one pair of disposable, one-day wear contacts left so I'm wearing my old glasses. Which suck. I look like such a hoser. And of course, every.single.goddamn.person I've come into contact with has had to comment on them.

"Ohh – I love your new glasses!"
"Ohh – you got new glasses!"
"Something looks different – are those new glasses?"
"Hey you – I'm noticing your glasses!"

I am so annoyed by it. I don't want to be wearing these glasses and I don't want everybody to feel the need to say something about my motherfucking old, old, OLD glasses. Just leave it alone bitches!

On the bright side, I bought a new pair yesterday over lunch. Something I probably should have done at least a year ago. Right now the jury is still out on whether it will be possible to temporarily fix my broken ones so I can stop feeling like everyone is staring at me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Actions and Consequences said...

Why do you put yourself into these scenarios?

Before you finished, I knew you got let down and they didn't show. It sounds like the post a while back.

hey something looks different about this blog! Wait is it your new glasses?

5:28 PM  
Blogger potusol said...

I have to agree with you on the warm and tingly feeling you get at Target. You can almost always count on a cute guy in the bedding department trying to piece together a new mantrap bedroom ensemble. : )

12:20 AM  
Blogger d-town said...

i just got new (sun)glasses when i was out in l.a. last week. while i looked at expensive glasses in nordstrom, i heeded advice and went to one of those kiosks on the main promenade of the grove and got a pair of cute cheapies for $12.99.

don't you hate it when your shit breaks (or in my case, was stolen).

12:50 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Hoser? Wow. Haven't heard that word in ages.

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home