Friday, August 26, 2005

how to completely alter your weekend plans in ten hours

I got an eerie feeling when I got to work this morning and already had an e-mail from my mom asking me to call her as soon as I got in. First of all, that’s just strange, and second, I know that my mom always wants to tell me bad news directly – not over voicemail or e-mail.

It turns out my great aunt’s condition has taken a rather severe turn for the worse, and they actually didn’t expect her to make it through the night. But being the feisty little fighter that she is, she’s still hanging on a full 12 hours after they administered last rites.

So, all day I’ve been trying to find the cheapest flights for any number of possible departure possibilities. Maybe she’ll die tonight and I’ll have to leave tomorrow. Or maybe she’ll die tomorrow and I’ll have to leave on Sunday. Or maybe she’ll keep hanging on through the weekend. Do I fly straight home and pay the outrageous $800 ticket? Do I fly to Pierre, pay around $400, and have my dad come pick me up? Or do I fly to Minneapolis and drive home with a cousin I haven’t had an extended conversation with since we played with my He-Man figures together in grade school?
Ugh…five hours in a car with a virtual stranger.

In addition to that, I definitely have to prepare for the 99% chance that I won’t be in to work for at least the first half of next week. And, of course, I have three deadlines hitting next Wednesday. So it’s Friday night, and I’m going to be here indefinitely – until everything is done.

Still, as much as I love fleeing the office on Friday at 5 p.m., I’m really digging the deserted office feeling. Makes me feel like a real team player. Plus I’m logging major overtime, and should still get at least two days paid next week when I'm gone (that’s how much they gave me for my grandpa’s funeral).
I really wish I’d just gotten my ass in gear and bought a car this month. Then I could just jump in the car, hit the road, and be home in 11 hours. Blimey!

The light at the end of my tunnel consists of multiple shots of tequila at my favorite gay bar in about four hours and then dancing the rest of the night away with a bunch of my hot female friends.

2 Comments:

Blogger hot babe said...

So sorry about your aunt, sweetie.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

so sorry about your great aunt...I would avoid the drive with your cousin...I seriously hate ackward cousin conversation....hi,remember when we played firestation at grandma's,you called from the back room on your plastic phone over to my plastic phone in grandma's room...you yelled fire and I came and put it out,then you did the same...don't think we have spoken since but yeah....remember when we would jump from one of Grandma's twin beds to the other,then one of us would pretend to fall and die,then the other would play "God" and "cure" us....o.k. sorry "Denver Shenanigans" you inspired a "cousin" walk down memory lane...I bet my very catholic Grandma was tickled by our God role playing game...Now if I see a cousin at target I duck behind a rack of stuff so I don't have to stammer for something to say for ten minutes...a five hour ride with one would suck...o.k. sorry about the rambling comment I am deliriously tired and am getting loopy...

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home