Thursday, August 18, 2005

musical delights

Stacy tagged me to list the ten songs I’m most into right now. But since I listen to so much music on a daily basis, that is an almost impossible task for me. So I’ve tweaked the request a bit, and am going to list ten of my all-time favorite CDs. Not necessarily my favorite ten CDs EVER, but ten that I wouldn’t want to live without (and that pop into my head without me having to go home to stare at my CD collection).

I am a total music junkie. I’m not saying my taste is impeccable by any means, but I am constantly listening to something. While I’m bumming around my house, when I’m walking anywhere, when I’m at work, etc. I even have crazy-deformed ears holes from constantly having headphones in.
Just kidding.
I’ve had crazy-deformed ear holes since birth. Little evil children point and laugh at me at the supermarket.

Mark Farina – San Francisco Sessions: I’ve picked this as my favorite Mark Farina CD, but I love, love, LOVE them all. I kind of randomly discovered him a couple years ago. He has a series of CDs out called “Mushroom Jazz,” and they are absolutely perfect for putting on as ambient music – say, at a party or while you’re reading a book. When I’m 90 years old (god willing) and I hear something by Mark Farina I’ll have warm remembrances of listening to him on the weekend while cozied up reading at the Tattered Cover (the best bookstore in Denver).
Hmmm – spell check isn’t recognizing “cozied” but I’m sticking with it!

Dimitri – A Night at the Playboy Mansion: Much like the description above of Mark Farina, but sexier. It has a really groovy 70s vibe. Please check it out and play it at your next sexy gathering! Maybe at your next orgy? You’ll thank me when you’re getting laid….

Queer as Folk – the British series: I like all the Queer as Folk soundtracks, but this one has a cool, slightly cheesy, ultra-sweet British feel to it. And a kick-ass remix of “Sexy Boy” by Air.

The White Stripes – White Blood Cells: A classic. Well, it will be a classic as soon as it gets a few years older. I always think about hanging out at my best friend’s pad off of 16th & Stout around 2002-2003 getting baked and listening to this repeatedly when I hear it. “We’re Going to be Friends?” Has there been a cuter song EVER? And I love the original “Fell in Love with a Girl.” Fuck off Joss Stone!
***side note – I actually love Joss Stone, but there was no need for her to cover this song and replace “Girl” with “Boy.”***

Coldplay – A Rush of Blood to the Head: Brilliant. Bloody brilliant. One of the first times I ever listened to it, I was flying home to South Dakota for my grandpa’s funeral. I was on the connecting flight from Minneapolis to Aberdeen in one of those little 15-20 seaters, which are scary as shit during a storm (think “La Bamba”), but absolutely amazing on a beautiful day flying through all the thick, poofy, white clouds. And when “A Rush of Blood to the Head” came on, I started crying. The guy beside me pretended not to notice - thankfully.

Janet Jackson – The Velvet Rope: I think this is Janet’s most underappreciated CD. It is amazing! While it has radio favorite “Together Again,” Janet really shines on “Velvet Rope,” “Got ‘Til It’s Gone,” “Free Zone,” and “What About.” “Velvet Rope” absolutely gives me the chills. A couple of years ago I was in Aberdeen driving around with my mom and I was playing this CD. “Got ‘Til It’s Gone” came on, which has a brief sample from Joni Mitchell’s “Big Yellow Taxi” – basically the same line over and over – and my mom thought the CD was skipping. My mom is so hip. Love her!

Pixies – Doolittle: I can’t say enough about the Pixies. I can listen to them when I’m sad, when I’m pissed off, when I’m happy…whenever! They have a couple greatest hits albums out which totally rock, but this is definitely my favorite non-greatest hits work. I used to have a serious obsession with “Monkey Gone to Heaven.” Actually, I still do, but I’ve learned to live with it and not let it consume my life completely. I’m just taking it one day at a time….
My favorite lesbo Heidi and I used to listen to this CD every night while we closed the Starbucks. We’d blast the fucker and get crazy. Besides illegal drugs and obscene amounts of alcohol, it was really the only way to unwind after a long day of crappucino-making.

Eminem – Marshall Mathers LP: I don’t know exactly when this CD became a permanent part of my psyche. I do remember lying out in a park a couple blocks from my parents’ house a few summers back listening to this over and over. I couldn’t get enough of it. I definitely think this is his best CD - when he was at the peak of his powers.
And for all of those who whine about the fag-bashing stuff - pffft. Suck it! Ever heard of free speech?

Britney Spears – Greatest Hits: Now, some of you may give me shit about this one, but I’m not ashamed. There is no better CD to work out to, and any day you’re feeling blue, just put on “Toxic” and strut down the street!
Don’t you know that you’re toxic??
I wish Britney wasn’t all knocked-up and married to a serial-impregnator, because I’m worried it’s all downhill for her career from here on out, but who knows? Maybe a “Crossroads II” isn’t entirely out of the question!
P.S. – I did catch “Crossroads” for the first time a month or two ago and it wasn’t all that bad. Britney’s biological mother treats her like dirt, her skinny white friend falls down some steps and loses her baby, her skinny black friend gets shit on by a cheating boyfriend when they get to L.A., etc. Good stuff. Stuff we can all relate to, right?

And number ten…hmmm. I think I might just leave that slot open so everyone can imagine that I would have picked their favorite CD to take that spot. Unless it’s some bullshit by Mariah Carey or Celene Dion. Those bitches can bite me!
(Although, I do like exactly ONE song by each of them and that’s it. I’m not made of stone, after all.)

1 Comments:

Blogger hot babe said...

#10- the Health Partners commercial song.

That was easy. Do I win a prize?

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home