Tuesday, August 16, 2005

ouch! my ego!

I've had very good luck in my life in getting what I want. When it comes to getting jobs, that is. I'm a fairly intelligent, hard-working, and likable person. But I also kick ass at interviews.
So imagine my surprise when my latest attempt at climbing that nasty corporate ladder was met with a resounding "WE DON'T WANT YOU!"
I found out last Thursday that my interview with a certain Denver-based architecture firm didn't go quite as well as I had thought. Three weeks ago I went in and interviewed for a Marketing Coordinator position. The position was remarkably similar to what I'm doing now, except that the firm is three times bigger and I would have been working with a team of three other marketers (and I would have been making quite a bit more money). The interview went really well. The only hitch was that I was running late getting to their office, and it was an intensely hot day, so by the time I got there I was sweating like a pig. I had a moment to try to compose myself, but then the two ladies interviewing me showed me to one of their conference rooms which was about 120 degrees. So for the first ten minutes of my interview I was sweating like a pig. Eventually I had to explain that I wasn't nervous, or hiding some deep dark secret, but just a bit overheated from my dash to the interview. They seemed fine with it. Then early the next week the HR woman called my references, one of which is my good friend. She immediately called me and told me that the HR woman said they were going to offer me the position by the end of the day. So I waited...and waited...and waited...and finally by the middle of the next week I called them to see what was going on. Turned out the decision had come down to me and another woman. And then last Thursday I got an e-mail from the HR woman.

Matt: We wanted to thank you for spending time with us interviewing for the marketing coordinator position. After careful consideration, we decided to extend an offer to another candidate, who has accepted. This decision was made with the goal of finding the best fit for the needs we have. We were extremely expressed with your experience and attitude, and know you will find an opportunity that will utilize the talents and energy you have to offer.Thank you again for your time and effort. We wish you success in your employment search, and appreciate your interest in XXX. XXX Director of Human Resources

I responded with the following:

Hello all - I wanted to sincerely thank you for your consideration of me for the Marketing Coordinator position at XXX. I'm sorry it didn't work out for me, but I'm confident you've selected the best person for your firm and your marketing team's needs. I enjoyed meeting all of you, and I'm sure I will see you all around in this small architecture world we all travel in!
One note on the reference-checking process. It would be more professional on your part, and less stressful on the interviewee's part, if you didn't tell the prospective employee's reference that you're going to offer them the job by the end of the day, and then not be in contact with the interviewee for almost two weeks. It sets up the interviewee for much more disappointment and confusion.
Thanks again and have a great week!
Matt


Is that passive-aggressive or what? Nice.

Oh well. I do believe they're a bunch of buggers anyway.
I just need a change so bad! And more money. Much more money.

But I have a second interview today at 1:00 at a certain Denver landscaping architecture firm. And I'm going to get the job by god! And try not to sweat too much.

5 Comments:

Blogger hot babe said...

Tell me you're kidding. Tell me you didn't really send that. Sometimes, I'm not sure what to believe.

3:38 PM  
Blogger denverco said...

I did send it.
I ain't kidding around!
Of course, now they probably feel even more justified in their decision.
Ahh - they can suck it.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Looky who has a blog!One of my top ten favorite commentors...Can I just say it felt like the day Chipolte moved within a block of my house!Yay!I can now read your raging wit and humor on a daily basis rather than waiting with baited breath for a "denverco" comment...by the way...where are my "deverco" comments?I know I have been a bore lately...one can only comment so much on pictures of me in denim...

7:12 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

OMG! You have a blog now! Must get reading.

6:59 AM  
Blogger hot babe said...

You really sent that?! Matty. Well, here's to burning bridges. Cheers!

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home