Wednesday, February 15, 2006

reasons why my niece is so goddamn special

1. She says "fookie" instead of cookie. She can pronounce "c's" in other words, just not in cookie. Although I suspect at this point in her life, she may be simply doing it for cuteness' sake.

2. She thinks that my mom's living room is Denver, so she yells, "Matty, let's go to Denver!" and runs as fast as she can to the living room. The couch is the Rocky Mountains. Then she rolls off the side of the couch, pretending she's rolling down a mountain. Then I have to "roll down" too, and then we have to pretend to be knocked unconscious for a couple seconds.

3. I was calling her "nosepicker" when I saw her putting her finger in her nose, forgetting that she's three and now she picks up on everything. After the third time I called her that, she looked at me with the most forlorn expression I've ever seen and said in a sad voice, "Why do you keep being mean to me?" My heart broke.

4. She hates going to bed and can fake-cry in an attempt to get out of it like nobody's business. My last night in town she came out into my sister's living room and fake-sobbed, "It's cold and scary in there!"
When my sister said "That's enough" and picked her up to take her back to bed she looked at me with her eyes full of tears and cried, "Matty, save me!" My heart broke.

5. Blonde hair/blue eyes.

6. She asked me to play her a princess song on my iPod. Luckily, I had some Nutcracker bullshit on there. Not that the Nutcracker is bullshit per se, but did I really need it on my iPod?
Well…apparently it's good thing I did!

7. She was fascinated by my newly-sprouting beard. When I'd hold her, she'd grab my cheeks in her little hands and say, "Are you gonna look like Santa?"

8. Speaking of Santa, my parents had their friend dress up as Santa to stop by on Xmas Eve. When he came in the door and said, "I'm looking for a little girl named Hailey!" she went running right up and said, "I'm Hailey! Me! Me!" And then she hopped right up into his lap without any fear and gave him a big hug and kiss. She's righteous.

9. She tries to share everything with everyone – including the gooey chunk of cheese she's been nursing for about a half hour.

10. She can't keep a secret to save her life. I showed her what I got my mom and sister for Xmas, and later my sister told me I'd made a big mistake. So I immediately tried to backtrack and told her to tell everyone I got grandma "rattlesnakes." For the rest of the weekend she ran around giggling and telling everyone that grandma was getting rattlesnakes. She did, however, announce to the family at Xmas Eve dinner that Lindsey was getting books. Oh well. At least she didn't say WHICH books.

11. We invented a strange game that we played for almost an hour on Xmas Day where we'd go "WHAAAAAA" at the top of our lungs in our most annoying voices and then both yell "DON'T!" at the same time to each other over and over and over until my mom was at her absolute wits end and complained that she was getting a migraine. LOVE that game.
WHAAAAAA! DON'T!

12. Because of how happy she's made my sister, mom and dad. And how fun she's made every day of our lives we get to spend with her.

13. Today she sent me (via my sister) this e-mail message:
"Hi Uncle Mattie! Hello. I like your kitty. I love you. I'm sick today so I stay home with mommy. Have fun at work. Miss you."

Being an uncle is the best job in the world.

And I'm super stoked because I get to see Hailey in two days!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my sister is currently with child. I hope I like being an uncle as much as you; but I doubt I will.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You are so cute!

Hailey is so lucky to have such a cool uncle that appreciates the finer points of being three...

6:20 AM  
Blogger Matt S. said...

She is a total doll Matt!

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home